All-Terrain Lawn Mower Association
October 23, 2017, 02:40:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the All-Terrain Lawnmower Association forum!

Home   Help Search Calendar Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Craftsman GT6000 broken piston help  (Read 3861 times)
creed
Newbie!

e-Rep: 0

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2012, 08:20:13 PM »

I have a 80's craftsman gt6000 (I think) and it dropped a cylinder. Pretty sure the piston fell apart somewhere. Anyways, does anyone have any information on how to disassemble this motor properly. I'm not sure what brand the motor is but its a two cylinder with one carb on the top. Might possibly be a Kohler. I remember taking a Kohler apart a few years ago for the exact same problem. The whole thing fell apart while I was opening the case, I don't want that to happen to this one. I really don't want to scrap this mower, I really like it. Any information would be helpful.
Report to moderator   Logged
swbeebe
Newbie!

e-Rep: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 07:43:45 AM »

I would almost guess that no matter what broke in there, you're going to have to "rebuild" the engine. Which means opening up the case, and dumping all the broken parts out. You will need to inspect the rod if it's still there, and the cylinder bore for scoring, and could have possible bent push rods etc. You will need to breakdown the entire lower part of the motor anyway, so I would not be too afraid to check it out. Also once you find out the engine model, there is plenty of information on the web, such as service manuals.
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: