All-Terrain Lawn Mower Association
December 19, 2014, 06:29:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have any questions, concerns, suggestions  - PM someone on the administration team.

Home   Help Search Calendar Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Track Drive Mower  (Read 12002 times)
tjbryner
Newbie!

e-Rep: 0

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2009, 02:19:53 PM »

Well Here goes nothing
Ok here are my 2 motors that I'll be using in this build.

For the power plant I'm going to be using a Kohler Magnum 16hp

Also already attached to the motor is a double pump should be more then enough pump for this project.

The complete power plant is 25" long by 13" wide and about 18" high so it's going to be fun making it fit under a hood.

When I got all this stuff There was 2 rams included so thinking about a use for them badgrin

I'm trying to find 2 used snowmoblies but they are not real common around here. The belt from TSC are $7/ foot, Really don't want to go that route if I don't have to.

This going to be slow build but I will keep it going, kinda would like to be done before snow starts flying here.
Report to moderator   Logged
NikoBellic
Newbie!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 10:05:50 AM »

Awesome idea!  You should make a dozer blade or something like that with the rams.
Chris
Administrator

e-Rep: 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 07:37:37 AM »

Check craigslist for junk snowmobiles. I'm sure someone would sell you just the tracks

tjbryner
Newbie!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 09:46:53 AM »

Been looking but only found a motor so far...And while I'm at it, What do you all think about me using a 3 Cylinder Geo motor instead of the Kohler? I can get one for $150 not sure about the size or weight but would give it a little extra to the pump? For a chase I'm looking for a large frame just in case:) 
Chris
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 11:13:24 AM »

DO IT!!!!!!

Kaptain krunch
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 06:52:44 PM »

I'd grab a sled or motorcycle engine before the Geo. Those things didn't put out much power for their size. A modern liquid cooled 440 would put out more power than a Geo engine.
Chris
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 02:15:25 PM »

Looks like someone beat you to the track drive....

AcreFarm
Newbie!

I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 02:30:55 PM »

Before you start looking for another engine find out what input RPM your pump is rated for.   If you spin it too fast you're going to tear it up before you know it.   wink

-Dan
tjbryner
Newbie!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 09:55:42 AM »

Yea Cris I saw that over the weekend :( oh well I'm stilling going to make one just for the fun of it.

As for the pump it's rated at 3600 rpm I figured that the GEO motor idling would have produce as much power as that Kohler does at 3600, but i would need to set up a governor for it and after thinking it thru, That would be a pain in the transaxle.
Chris
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 10:02:25 AM »

That would be a pain in the transaxle.

lol good one

tjbryner
Newbie!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 08:51:25 AM »

Well I try to keep it clean.....at least on the web......I figured that most of the adults would get it...smile
Now I need help from you guys.
I might be getting 2 ARCTIC CAT PANTHERS (1 is a 1970 and other a 1971) Does anyone know track length,width, and weight of these. I'm going to use the tracks off of them and rebuild it to be a high track system.  tankchris = wow

I really want to make this into a all purpose mower. Be able to pull a trail mower, put a remove-able FEL on it, snow/dozer plow, and who knows what else. question

Chris
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 10:00:57 AM »

I might be getting 2 ARCTIC CAT PANTHERS (1 is a 1970 and other a 1971) Does anyone know track length,width, and weight of these. I'm going to use the tracks off of them and rebuild it to be a high track system.  tankchris = wow

I really want to make this into a all purpose mower. Be able to pull a trail mower, put a remove-able FEL on it, snow/dozer plow, and who knows what else. question

My friend's race these things, I'll have to give them a buzz and see if they know (they should)

tjbryner
Newbie!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 04:27:31 PM »

Update to this thread, It's been a long time but I started back on my idea for a track drive mower. Plans changed some what but hey all good things do....RIGHT???

The tracks are just a tad over 4 foot on each side. (49.75" on the ground per side) Tracks are just a tad under 12" wide. So this gives me right handy to 16 sq feet of track on the ground.  eyebrow . Also the tracks outside to outside are right handy to 5' wide

The rear tires are loaded to help keep the SG low. I use air pressure to keep the tracks tight.

Yea buy the way the tracks are old farm tractor tires with the side wall cut out.

This will be powered by a briggs 18 opposed.

Here's the start for it.

Turning will be done by hydraulic brakes and using the open diff.

I'm relocating the forward/reverse to a pedal so that my hands are free for steering and plow controls.

Still in the plans is a hydraulic pump, Powered up, down, left,right, and also 45* tilt. So Basically a 6 way blade. Then down the road a grader blade for the back.
Chris
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2010, 04:42:37 PM »

Progress looks good!

Oh, and one of your tracks are backwards  tongue

tjbryner
Newbie!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 04:45:56 PM »

Now you had to go and say some thing...

Long story short. When I put the tracks on the tires I had them off the mower and got slightly backwards. Can you guess how heavy that set up is (the 2 tires track remember the tires are loaded to the max)? Well It all has to come apart for paint. It can wait till then to be changed..LOL
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: