All-Terrain Lawn Mower Association
January 17, 2018, 06:12:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have any questions, concerns, suggestions  - PM someone on the administration team.

Home   Help Search Calendar Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Briggs powered Powerwheels project  (Read 39571 times)
NikoBellic
Newbie!

e-Rep: 0

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2009, 10:05:30 AM »

Administrator Comment Moved this to "Other interesting builds", as this is a perfect example of an awesome project.

My son's electric Powerwheels Silverado finally stripped a gearbox.  I have been planning on converting it to gas ever since I saw the video of a Jeep PW with a 12hp Briggs running through the mud.  I'm building this using stuff I already have to keep costs down.  The frame is made from 2 old bed frames I had and the front section of a MTD frame.  So I guess that qualifies it to be a ATLM  question  Well anyway this build is going to take a while(only working on it a few hrs per week, for some reason my wife wants me to spend time with her too lol) and I'll update here as soon as I can.  Enough rambling, here is what I have so far:
Here is the transaxle, a Foote 3 speed

Power is a 5hp B&S motor that I rebuilt

Here is the frame so far, still working on the MTD section

Here is how the frame sits in the body at the rear.  I had to cut out a lot of plastic to get it to work

This is hopefully how it will look when completed.  I just mocked it up quick for the picture.

View with seat removed showing where the shifter will be.

I'm planning on running the exhaust behind the rear tire and putting a chrome tip on.  It will still go stock lawn mower speed so I'm keeping the rider's brakes.  I also want to wire up some headlights and taillights and make a trailer hitch.  Comments welcome.
Report to moderator   Logged
Kaptain krunch
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 02:00:54 PM »

SWEET, this is gonna be awesome. You planning on keeping the body stock colors?

I've been wanting to do something like this for a while, except with a moped or large chainsaw engine. Using stock size tires and ride hight,  having it look as normal as possible so it would be more of a surprise when it takes off haha.
NikoBellic
Newbie!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 06:25:16 PM »

I'm going to paint it with Krylon Fusion.  It looks much worse in person, the plastic is faded and chalky.  Probably going to paint it blue or red.
Kaptain krunch
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 12:26:26 PM »

Nice, That engine doesnt look like it would have a charging system right? if it does though, you could do headlights, tail lights, even a winch, that would be crazy.

This thread inspired me, i was walking home from a tubing trip yesterday and saw this little 3 wheeled kids toy in a dumpster, so i fished it out. I might extend the frame and stick one of my old saws in there for power....like i need another project.
NikoBellic
Newbie!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 05:53:20 AM »

Now that will be cool if it works out.  The 5hp doesn't have a charging system but I was going to put the PW battery above the transaxle and run lights.  Did some more work on it yesterday here is the progress:
Here is the section of MTD frame cleaned up and I cut off a lip at the rear of it

MTD frame tacked in place

Frame so far without the body

Motor set in place to check fit

Fill her up please

Front axle from a old 70's mower and MTD spindles, the MTD axle is too wide

Axle tacked in place and front wheel on

Starting on the steering setup, going to extend the MTD gear past the edge of the frame and had to trim the arm about 1" b/c it was hitting the frame

Prob won't do any more to it until next week. What do you think?
Kaptain krunch
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 01:28:10 PM »

Coming along very nice. One thing though, i would suggest that you get some better tie rod ends (heim joints). Stock mower tie rod ends are very weak, i have broke a few just mowing the lawn. Otherwise, it looks great, i love how you got the engine right under the hood, gives it more of a realistic feel.
NikoBellic
Newbie!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 10:13:11 AM »

Did some more work to the steering yesterday and have figured out how to set it up.  Just need to buy some better joints.  Also got the motor mounts drilled.

to the left

to the right

Extending the MTD gear increased the leverage to the point where it feels like it has power steering.  The steering is quick almost like a go kart. I hope it's still this easy once the tires and motor are on.
here is most of the plastic I cut from the body
Kaptain krunch
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 01:48:47 PM »

In case your interested, i actually found the guy who made the jeep your talking about (i think its the one you mentioned at least). Anyways, he's part of another forum, and had never figured that out till a little while ago. I emailed him about the jeep and this is what he said
thanks its just a mid engined ride on tractor with a push mower engine and a cart style differential axle. I had to lift it a bit and i made the body with conduit and wraped it with sheet metal. Its really kindof a cob job by my current building standards but it works really well. The reverse in the transmition blew up though so iv only got forward gears. And i have put smaller tires on it because i put the big ones back on my super bronc. I dont have much for build pics just these

[/quote]
NikoBellic
Newbie!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 04:55:24 PM »

I have seen a vid of that jeep on Youtube but it's not the one I was talking about.  Here is the one I mentioned http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1pJLWRNr60
creed
Newbie!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 02:09:55 PM »

Wow. I saw the same video. Had the same idea. I went to a pawn shop and saw the same silverado power wheels thing. I just never followed through with the idea. Good luck.
Chris
Administrator

e-Rep: 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 02:55:38 PM »

This is going to be awesome!!!

NikoBellic
Newbie!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 09:55:25 AM »

I started working on the clutch setup yesterday.  Used the pivoting arm from the MTD mower and the clutch pedal is from the old 70s mower.  I bought the first parts- a 5in engine pulley, 7/8" lock collar, and a 3in idler for the clutch.  Total spent on this project so far- $32.
Pullies and arm in place

Pedal and linkage, still need to trim rod and cut some threads

Where the pedal sits with the body on

Still need to make the brake linkage and get a belt that fits.  This project may end up costing over $50 if I'm not careful lol
Posted on: August 19, 2009, 09:53:54 AM
Wow. I saw the same video. Had the same idea. I went to a pawn shop and saw the same silverado power wheels thing. I just never followed through with the idea. Good luck.
Now it's time to follow through!
creed
Newbie!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 12:00:12 PM »

Looking good. I wish I had a clue of what to even to do with my project, haha. Oh and Chris wants everyone to use the atlma image uploader.
NikoBellic
Newbie!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 04:45:46 PM »

Yeah I forgot all about the uploader.  I have another build thread on modifiedpowerwheels.com and couldn't remember if that site or this one had the uploader.  I will fix my posts shortly.
Kaptain krunch
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 06:10:16 PM »

Looks great! i love that gas pedal and cant wait to see this thing finished!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: