All-Terrain Lawn Mower Association
January 17, 2018, 07:42:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the All-Terrain Lawnmower Association forum!

Home   Help Search Calendar Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: My first mower build!  (Read 34426 times)
Kaptain krunch
Turf Warrior

e-Rep: 0

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2009, 03:47:50 PM »

hey everyone, new here and goin on my first mower build. Its a Servistar mower by Murray, i got it for free a long time ago because the mower deck was bent, and by bent i mean you could use it as a sea saw. Anyways, i used it as a utility vehicle for towing stuff and whatnot for a few years, till the ring gear finally stripped (cheap plastic), and there it sat for a good time with no hood or flywheel on it. A few weeks ago i pulled it out and started working on it, a few hours later, a lot of rewiring, carb cleaning, and a little bit of work to get the new ring gear on, and it started right up. Right now it idles fine but after 1/2 throttle it surges a lot, and when i choke it the surging stops for the most part, so i'm guessing its running lean. So far i've stripped it down a bit, done some de rusting, race prepped the tranny, removed steering (really sloppy, worst i've ever seen in a mower), and done a lot of rewiring.

Back is pretty rusty, but im planning on giving it a red/black paint scheme.

The engine is actually in really good shape, and the shroud is very clean since it was the only part that was kept inside lol

Nice cleaned out tranny, since this pick its been filled with 80w gear oil, a breather was made with an air filter, and its been reinstalled. I also welded the diff.

Started the new front axle, but no where near done (i ran out of hacksaw blades and got sidetracked). 8 degrees of KPI, 5 degrees of Caster.

I really dont like the hood, but maybe after a nice coat of paint it will be better.

Back end is pretty rusty, since this pic i've wire brushed it and given that area a few coats of black paint to stop the rust.

Here are the future plans, in the order they will happen:

-new steering setup, snowmobile tie rods, everything else custom.
-Hydraulic disc brakes, also from a sled.
-New front end, completely custom.
-Car head unit, with some 4" speakers. (maybe)
-ATV tires (if i can find a cheap pair)
-Pulley swap, looking for no more than 25-30mph top speed.
-Paint job, and other odds and ends.

Tomorrow im going to pick up another mower from a friend for 10 bucks, hes got 2 for me to choose from, ill most likely be using it for parts. He has a Wheel horse, 12hp, 6 speed, broken front axle, engine needs a little work. He also has a White, which he thinks will run with a carb cleaning and new battery, has no problems other than that, also a 6 speed, and 11 or 12hp. Im going to decide once i see what tranny each has, if each has the same tranny, then i'll decide on which hood i like better.

Report to moderator   Logged
Chris
Administrator

e-Rep: 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 06:21:26 PM »

If you know anyone with a cub cadet, I'm looking for a transaxle. Mine had a catastrophic failure after I race prepped it. I kinda tightened a bolt down a bit too tight because I wasn't paying attention and BAM! :(

Kaptain krunch
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 06:47:30 PM »

Dont know anyone with a cub cadet that there willing to let go of, is it a special cub cadet model transaxle? I have a few off mtds (920s), a nice hydro from a deere, and a 700, but i may end up using the 700 in this mower, i think i might even have an 820 also, but thats on my grass cutter.

Do you know where i can find a 3/4 bore u joint for under $15? I cant seem to find one anywhere for under $40.
Chris
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 07:45:10 PM »

Dont know anyone with a cub cadet that there willing to let go of, is it a special cub cadet model transaxle? I have a few off mtds (920s), a nice hydro from a deere, and a 700, but i may end up using the 700 in this mower, i think i might even have an 820 also, but thats on my grass cutter.

Do you know where i can find a 3/4 bore u joint for under $15? I cant seem to find one anywhere for under $40.

It's a standard 900 IIRC, but it doesn't have keyed shafts, the wheels bolt onto it.

Have you checked mcmastercarr? Look at the "Links" section of our main page and there's some excellent links to places to get parts

Kaptain krunch
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 03:14:50 PM »

Man didnt even think of mcmastercarr, but sure enough that got what i need.
Posted on: May 30, 2009, 08:00:37 PM
Well i went to get that mower today. Both were in good shape, the White had the exact same engine as my murry, and was virtually the same mower, but the wheel horse was much better built, and had a lot of nice features (hour meter, charge gauge, electric PTO, shifter on the column, and it looked nice too). It also looked like the Wheel horse had a peerless 820, but once i took the wheels off i noticed it had a 3/4 shaft, so no 820 turns out to be a 920. The shift keys and drum thing was rusted, but i took it apart and did about half the cleaning, and everything looks good except for first gear, its missing one tooth, but overall not bad. Also the front axle was broken off, he said it wasnt steering right so he gave it a hit with the sledgehammer  doh and it snapped right off, it was cast any ways so no worries on that. The seat is actually good, which is a first for any of my offroad mowers, or grass cutters. Its a wheelhorse 212-6, with a kawasaki 12hp. Not sure if it runs, but the engine looks nice and has good compression and whatnot, but it was sitting all winter without a oil drain plug so it may have a little rust inside.

I like the hood on this one better, and will most likely just make 2 offroaders, but build this one up first so that i have something to ride around on while i build the more difficult project.

Tires are the exact same as my murray, i have yet to see if they hold air.

I think thats the low oil shutoff? not sure.

This engine is much bulkier than my briggs 11.5

Thats where the axle snapped right off, it looked so strong, but i guess its just not.

Broken tooth on first gear of the secondary shaft.

I really like the shifter on the column, its got a cool feel.

all the cool little warning lights, most likely going to all be disconnected though.

Its got over 980 hours on it, seems like a lot for a mower to me

Chris
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 06:36:58 AM »

That wheel horse is REALLY cool!

If you need ant 920 parts, I have two with good internals, just busted cases :(

Kaptain krunch
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 03:29:36 PM »

Thanks, but if anything once this one goes im gonna switch it for my 700, theres a perfect hole already cut in the frame for one, ill get pictures later.
Posted on: June 01, 2009, 02:02:09 PM
This things got an electric pto, how durable are these? like would it hold up to the abuse of a go kart, i think an electric would be bad arse, plus i got a 16hp kohleer k series sitting around that needs a little work with the crank.

I also just noticed while i was resetting the hour meter, that its not connected to anything, so its got 983 hours + however many hours it had after the meter was unhooked.
Chris
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 06:15:52 AM »

Electric clutch? Kinda looks like a centrifugal?

Kaptain krunch
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 04:20:30 PM »

Yea, it was originally for the mower deck, its got 2 wires coming out of it.
Posted on: June 02, 2009, 01:02:10 PM
I was also wondering if there is any place to order axle bearings for a 920? looks like theres a place for them just that there not there...
Posted on: June 02, 2009, 02:06:30 PM
Another thing, if anyone has or knows where to get a wiring diagram for a wheel horse 212-6 that would be great, this things got so many wires its confusing, and i know how to rewire it to a simple push button with separate kill switch, but i'd like to leave the hour meter, and ammeter, and its also got a 12v rectifier so i dont really want to mess with it haha.
Chris
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 07:22:39 PM »

We've discussed electric clutches on here before, you'll have to search to find the thread. You can order axle bearings directly from peerless, or you could go to your local lawnmower/small engine repair shop and they can order them for you (or you'll get lucky and they'll have them in stock). As for a wiring diagram, check out the contact info on wheel horse's website. I'm sure they'll eMail you one for free if you ask

Kaptain krunch
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 01:43:11 PM »

Thanks, i found the thread about electric clutches, i guess ill try to sell it and make a little cash.

As for the axle bearings, the reason I'm asking is because i found the parts diagram for this tranny, and it shows axle bearings and there is a place for them but i cant find the part number. I also have never seen a 920 series with axle bearings so i was wondering if you knew the part number for the right bearing from an online source.

And for the wiring diagram, I'm almost positive this was made before toro bought out Wheel Horse, so i cant find the diagram anywhere, and since wheel horse is technically out of business then i cant ask them.
Chris
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 02:02:02 PM »

And for the wiring diagram, I'm almost positive this was made before toro bought out Wheel Horse, so i cant find the diagram anywhere, and since wheel horse is technically out of business then i cant ask them.

They should still have all the technical data and stuff. Someone's gotta produce parts, which means they need to know those things; right?

Kaptain krunch
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 02:16:30 PM »

I guess, but i also couldnt find parts for it haha or any information really.  I'll try and find the ID tag on it and send them an email.
Chris
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 02:33:17 PM »

Yeah, you'd be surprised the stuff manufacturers keep, even after being bought out...

Kaptain krunch
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 01:44:06 PM »

Wow, i sent an email to them, and even though i did not have the right model number (it was missing a few) they told me there were two possibilities for which model it could be (1988 or 87), and on top of that there sending me in the mail a manual for each, free of charge! Now thats what i call great customer service.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: