All-Terrain Lawn Mower Association
January 20, 2018, 08:14:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the All-Terrain Lawnmower Association forum!

Home   Help Search Calendar Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Check this out. An easy way to save lots of money.  (Read 3491 times)
muddydeer
« on: February 22, 2009, 01:49:51 AM »

Well My nehibor down the road just bought a craftsman rear scraper blade and sleeve hitch. He also made the mistake of buying the electronic assist hitch kit.
http://beta.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07124545000P?mv=rr
well he is an older man so I understand why he picked it up. Well it just occured to me that I had just bought a winch. I told him about it and how the winch was only 44$. I also told him that I could bolt it on to his tractor to make it do the same thing that the electronic hitch does but this would save him 400$ He ended up taking the electronic hitch assist back immediately. The winch will allow him to raise and lower the scraper blade with ease. I am just pointing this out so nobody else here makes the same mistake. I would rather buy a manual hitch for 103 off of ebay then buy a 44$ winch for it rather then spending 500 on a electronic assist. To me that just makes no sense.
Report to moderator   Logged
Carlman
Newbie!

e-Rep: 0

Why? Because I CAN!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 06:52:16 AM »

Bloody good idea mate! Nice work, given me a few ideas..

Aussie aussie aussie! Oi oi oi!
Chris
Administrator

e-Rep: 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 07:08:09 AM »

$427? Wow...

muddydeer
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 02:51:30 PM »

so to buy a craftsman rear scraper blade it is 229.99 then the manual hitch you need is 139.99. If you want an electric assist then add on another 449.99 (You also need to buy the manual hitch set up). They also charge tax so we are talking some serious money. I spent 120 for the scraper blade and another 108 for the manual hitch. EBAY. lol I would rather spend 270.00 on a scraper and hitch (If I could not find them used) and another 44 on a winch to raise and lower it. Mind you the winch I bought included a 1yr warranty and a remote so I dont have to be sitting on the tractor to raise and lower the blade. I got this whole idea from my yamaha grizzly 660 with a plow. The plow raised and lowered with a winch. Im not trying to turn anyone away from buying the assist kit but it seems a little silly to spend that much when there is a WAY cheaper sollution. I bet if you buy a john deer or cub scraper they would do the same thing or even charge more because they usally cost more $$$
Posted on: February 23, 2009, 02:37:31 PM
the only thing im worried about is will the thing be stable enough?
Chris
Administrator

e-Rep: 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 02:57:44 PM »

Posted on: February 23, 2009, 02:37:31 PM
the only thing im worried about is will the thing be stable enough?

All depends on how it's mounted.

muddydeer
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 03:18:36 PM »

I just got the winch mounted today and I was just playing around with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVzw07KYIbc
Posted on: February 27, 2009, 10:03:40 PM
I know the video is very crappy quality (shot at 2am) lol. The set up is really simple but 2 draw backs
1. It winches a little slow (All winches do?)
2. A fairleed is a MUST. I currently dont have one but Im looking.
Other than that it was very easy to mount and get working. The battery runs it decently. It would run it perfect for a plow or something when you are using it in short spirts. It did not really loose power after 10 mins of use. wierd? When in use I would reccomend that you keep the throttle at where cutting speed is so the batt stays charged. Other than that I think that this modification will really change the lawnmower industry weather it be for offroading or for general use.
Posted on: February 27, 2009, 11:37:59 PM
oh also a remote is a MUST
Posted on: February 27, 2009, 11:38:49 PM
newer photos

PICS AND VIDEOS REMOVED - Admin
muddydeer
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 06:13:33 PM »

me and my friend went out offroading yesterday and the winch is a VERY good investment. He got stuck in some mud. I ended up hooking a rope around the front of my tractor then to a tree and winched him out no problem. Its a small price to pay rather then replacing rear ends from slingshoting people out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: