All-Terrain Lawn Mower Association
January 19, 2018, 08:13:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the All-Terrain Lawnmower Association forum!

Home   Help Search Calendar Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Protowrxs Intro...  (Read 13725 times)
protowrxs
Newbie!

e-Rep: 0

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2007, 07:17:43 PM »

Guess one is pretty required to post an intro to eventually be able to see anything??

Anyhow, Looks like there should be some good info in regard to engine and drive lines that I could educate myself between here and Heymow.

What I've build is not a racer or a ATLM I guess but a Karted version. Old 19hp flat Craftsman, some 1 1/8" and 1 1/2" tubing and time with the results of this;

Works great but it's time to speed things up. Swapped a 5" motor / 3" transaxle pulley but with a 13:1 final and limited RPM it's still pretty slow.

Maybe there's a forum out there for this type of stuff? I haven't had much luck finding anything yet.

-Stephen
Report to moderator   Logged
mtd
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 08:09:11 PM »

welcome to the sight...Looks like u got ur self a pretty cool homemade cart there.What kind of tranny are you using?
protowrxs
Newbie!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 05:56:22 AM »

Thanks.. it was a learning project on pipe bending, welding, and was fun to build. It's for our son who is 12 now... wanted a kart when he was 10, took me this long to get it done.  confused2

The transaxle is a Peerless/Tecumseh unit. I haven't checked for the actual model yet. That is what I am looking at right now is transaxle options or mods to gear up without more pulley replacements. For this app I prefer a transaxle just for ease of setup but might have to do something different in the long run. Originally I had calculated it would run 30+ mph with the pullies and gearing I have in it at 3500rpm but it's not living up to that. Need to get a tach and find the real RPM on the motor is I guess and go from there.

Any suggestions?

-Stephen
Chris
Administrator

e-Rep: 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 06:15:41 AM »

Welcome man!

I checked out your website when you signed up, Ryf has a kart very similar to yours - he'll probably check in here sometime soon.

Not too sure how you'd get that transaxle spinning faster without another pulley swap though.

mtd
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 04:09:26 PM »

Well if you have an 820 series peerless you can get the 017 kit which is a new set of gears to put in the transaxle to speed it up without over driving it.Which means if u overdrive it after installing that you get even more speed.
protowrxs
Newbie!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 06:13:13 PM »

Thanks for the welcome

I do need to track down the actual trans model this weekend. I guess I also need to validate the gov and throttle are working properly as well. Anyhow have any specifics on gov adjustments online? I imagine that would be in a Briggs manual as well but I haven't tracked one down yet.

I have seen the gear kit on ebay. That makes sense but maybe for the money I should look at other options.

I trying to find more info in regard to final drive ratios for the various transaxles out there.

I'll keep searching away for now I guess.

Thanks again
-Stephen
Posted on: November 15, 2007, 06:06:36 PM
FYI the AustinNolen.com site is my son's.

All my crap (chopper bikes, Stang, Motorcycles, etc) is linked through http://www.StephenNolen.com and my Protowrxs.com site.

-Stephen

One last thing, here is the trans - I never could find #'s on the thing when it was out:
http://www.austinnolen.com/GoKart/P0002621_Medium.JPG
mtd
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 07:26:24 PM »

The model number should be right under the brake disc.You should be able to see it without removing the disc.
Taylor
Newbie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 11:37:54 AM »

protowrxs , Thats a pretty darn cool thing you got there.... How does it handle with it kinda of high in the back?

Taylor

MY FORUM!! XTREME MOWERS

http://z15.invisionfree.com/Xtreme_Mowers/index.php?act=idx

"IF IT AINT RED LEAVE IT IN THE SHED"

TORO/ WHEEL HORSE
protowrxs
Newbie!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 08:40:38 PM »

Thanks Taylor. We don't have a lot of hours on it yet but so far so good.

The rear part of the thing is from the front of 1/2 of the original mower so the swivel is still there. The rear can twist AND moves up and down with the shocks so it is pretty flexible and "twistable". With the long wheel base I felt it needed some twist.

I have hammered it trying to do a donut actually trying to turn it over and haven't been able to yet. (I did manage to slide out of the seat though) ... BUT it still is not very fast with a 5" / 3.5" pulley combo and a 13:1 final tranny ratio. It's fun to cruise around in though... just need to get more speed out of it now. Part of the reason I am here.

I need to insure the gov is setup properly since I know it has been messed with in the past and plan on gearing up some more.

The complete build is here on my son's site if anyone is interested;
http://www.austinnolen.com/GoKart

-Stephen
Taylor
Newbie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 08:00:41 AM »

Have you tried changing the pulleys to 6" and "3?

Taylor

MY FORUM!! XTREME MOWERS

TORO/ WHEEL HORSE
mtd
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 09:34:41 AM »

If you are only getting 15 mph with a 5 on motor and 3.5 on trans your motor is not governed high enough.It should be 3650rpm at full throttle.
protowrxs
Newbie!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 02:31:07 PM »

Thanks.. 6 or 6.5 and 3 is the next attempt on the pulleys but I do believe the gov is holding down RPM. Need to get a tach and check it still. Also I cannot find any good specific info on adjusting the gov on this motor (42A707 twin flat) so I am left to figure it out myself.

Thanks for the info and tips!

-Stephen
Taylor
Newbie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 02:55:34 PM »

Check ina briggs manual.... Thats usually says.....

MY FORUM!! XTREME MOWERS

TORO/ WHEEL HORSE
STEELMAN
Turf Warrior

it was free so i made it fit

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 11:23:12 AM »

welcome stephen.
 im pretty familiar with those motors (i have about 6 of them) and will tell you "DO NOT GO OVER 4000 RPM" they are famous for seizing the top rod also run your oil on the high side never low and last of all if you want to make this motor insane say maybe 50 horse and 5000 rpm or somewhere in that zone talk to don at g-team www.g-team.us
protowrxs
Newbie!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 07:37:25 PM »

welcome stephen.
 im pretty familiar with those motors (i have about 6 of them) and will tell you "DO NOT GO OVER 4000 RPM" they are famous for seizing the top rod also run your oil on the high side never low and last of all if you want to make this motor insane say maybe 50 horse and 5000 rpm or somewhere in that zone talk to don at g-team www.g-team.us
Thanks for the tips and info! Guess I better figure out a tach before doing too much then.

Yeah, I found Don G's site.. way out there. I'd be better off with a motorcycle engine though for that money.

-Stephen
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: