All-Terrain Lawn Mower Association
January 20, 2018, 08:18:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the All-Terrain Lawnmower Association forum!

Home   Help Search Calendar Staff List Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: locking transaxle tips  (Read 21801 times)
MTDrider1160
z0mG bANt!!

e-Rep: 3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 07:14:33 PM »

cant see the pictures I get a red x?
Must be your server, i can see them fine.

Ok I didnt realize that my foote was alot different so I need some guidance as were to weld.

Report to moderator   Logged

"I'm a minority, therefore I only speak ENGLISH"
tractorman
Mow-Forum Junkie

e-Rep: 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 07:18:23 AM »

Okay now I can see them. Question for you tntchitwood, I have always messed with wheel horses but I am going to build a second. In a peerless 600 or foote can you make one big locker? By taking the existing bull gear and the spider gears and adding 2 in the bull gear and welding the spider gears to the axle and welding everything together in the bull gear?

My mowmachine: 1980 Sears Craftsmen
Chris
Administrator

e-Rep: 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 08:02:08 AM »

Sorry about not approving your account, I'm never online on the weekends oops

Seems like you got your post back, and that's one really good writeup!

Oh, and we probably have the same welder. HD100 I take it?

creepycrawler
Newbie!

e-Rep: 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 09:31:36 PM »

I have a few tips to add, I have locked up many a tranny, including foote, peerless and spicer, also the tranny in a sears suburban and a allis chalmers garden tractor. the way Ive had most success with is only welding the two spider gears that are not on the axles, the ones that ride on the same 5/8 shaft. I clean the differential with carb cleaner then tack the two gears to the shaft. then I completely remove the tacked piece and arc weld the gears to the shaft. The benifits of this is that it is removable and can be put in another rearend if you burn one up. also it takes out the chance that you dont get the axleshafts perfectly true. Ie cause the rearend to lock up.
MTDrider1160
z0mG bANt!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 06:29:53 AM »

Anybody know how I could lock my foote?

Chris
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 10:09:26 AM »

With one of these?

lol

tractorman
Mow-Forum Junkie

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 10:13:42 AM »

lol

So when I go to weld my spider gears to the axles should I lay the axles in the one half of the case or not?

tntchitwood
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 04:53:37 PM »

I wish I could help. Maybe it is your browser settings or something to that effect. Maybe somebody who knows will respond.?
Posted on: July 31, 2007, 04:19:53 PM
What happened?  I guess I am behind!!!!! LOL
Posted on: July 31, 2007, 04:22:01 PM
MTDRider............ The spider gears that are directly inside the ring gear.......Weld them to the ring gear so they will not spin inside the ring(bull) gear. It is tight between the case and the ring gear so some of your weld will have to be cleaned up with a grinder for clearance. Footes are a little tougher, same principal.
Posted on: July 31, 2007, 04:27:41 PM
Tractorman...........I am not that familiar with the wheelhorse transaxles, but I have heard of people doing this with the extra gears.I have never done it that way and don't know why anybody would, I'm sure people have their reasons. The way I do it if you happen to snap the axle or something similar, there is the possibility of changing the axle. Also there is minimal welding and it is very easy.....Plus, I don't have to find an extra set of spider gears. I live by the rule.....Keep it simple stupid.(Me not you....)   Try it different ways and let us know how it goes. Maybe a comparison. Take pictures though I would like to see one done this way.        Tom
Posted on: July 31, 2007, 04:40:13 PM
Tractorman...I lay mine in the case to keep them true and straight. I would recommend doing the same.   Sorry about not getting back sooner. I have been checking the board daily(10 times a day) and tonight the rest of the thread finally loaded.?????? Stupid PC.
Posted on: July 31, 2007, 04:46:30 PM
I see what happened. There is a second page to this thread. DUH!!!!  Stupid Human!!!!!
Posted on: July 31, 2007, 04:49:13 PM
Good Idea creepy crawler.That makes sense.Next time I will try it that way. It will still lock the diff without tieing down the axles to one certain position. You should share more of your secrets with us.....
tractorman
Mow-Forum Junkie

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 05:42:07 PM »

Also have you tried a spider gear box?

This method requires a little grinding for the extra gears to fit.
But when you do this method you need to buy the same spider gears that were originally in bull gear shaft.

tntchitwood
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 07:05:16 PM »

I haven't tried it. I am still fairly new to locking rearends, but have been fabricating for years. The "spider gear box" violates my keep it simple rule, requiring me to buy and modify more parts.  lol
  What are the benefits of this method as apposed to welding what you already have? I am not totally against bending my #1 rule if the results are worth it.
MTDrider1160
z0mG bANt!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 08:38:04 PM »

Well i dont have to worry about locking that foote anymore.  Tonight i acquired 10transaxles, 1tranny, about 30 engines(no joke folkes).  And most of the transaxles are peerless, i know one is a 900 or a 600 not sure which one.

tntchitwood
Turf Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 03:29:49 AM »

But?!?! You lucky sucker! omg omg ! question
Chris
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 07:02:52 AM »

Well i dont have to worry about locking that foote anymore.  Tonight i acquired 10transaxles, 1tranny, about 30 engines(no joke folkes).  And most of the transaxles are peerless, i know one is a 900 or a 600 not sure which one.

Pics or ban!!! lol

tractorman
Mow-Forum Junkie

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 07:10:13 AM »

Okay, The good part of this is no welding. All you need is a little grinding in order to make it fit. OOOOOO>> My mistake there is required a little welding. You need to weld the spiders to the bull gear. (O on a side note you dont have to weld the spider gears in the box it is just for extra safety muesure)    But the good thing is that is is more durable then welding steel to cast. No need to weld the axles. SOOOO.......... being more reliable you can just pound this tranny into the ground on rock pavement and so on.

censored!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do you have any 11 hp briggs and any 12 hp cranks in that mix of engines?

O and does anyone have any extra 2 speed footes (with reverse) sitting around for cheap they want to get rid of?

MTDrider1160
z0mG bANt!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 11:22:45 AM »

Pics or ban!!! lol

Ill get pics later today.

censored!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do you have any 11 hp briggs and any 12 hp cranks in that mix of engines?

Im going this afternoon to pick up as much as i can, ill let you know after i catalog all that i get.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: